Thursday, March 16, 2006

NO

It's over.

PC Bangladesh has been suspended (read: shut down). I am typing this from a room in Washington, DC, where we have all been consolidated and await our Close of Service seminar. Why? Because someone in one of the towns in B'desh got threatened by a member of an Islamic extremist group.

My grief, and the grief of other volunteers, has at times been overwhelming. We had just gotten through some of the toughest times; we were excited about actually starting to do some things that we could be proud of for the rest of our lives. This was our home.

Why did I ever waste a single day feeling sorry for myself? More often than not I was annoyed by the legion of little kids outside my door constantly trying to get whatever piece of me they could. On my way to the bus station they chased my rickshaw repeating the same "Halllo, Uncle!" just like any other day. Some days I would smile and reply back in Bangla, but most days I'd just ignore it if I was in a bad mood. On this day I just stared. It was a lot easier not to get down about the state the world's in when I could tell myself I was at least doing my part to stem the tide.

No one understands why we have left. I will be forever replaying the mental tapes of the faces of my colleagues and friends falling one after another when they learned the news. There was a pattern: First, the eyes would fall as the information was processed. Immediately following, the eyes would flit about the floor in order to assess the believability that such an unsuitable thing was really happening. Next, the eyes would return to my face and the mouth would protest: "But Bangla Bhai and Sheikh Abdur Rahman were captured!" After my flimsy explanation, the eyes would lag off to the side and the mouth would stall, wishing it could speak better English or that mine could speak better Bangla so we could sit down together and work out that Peace Corps was WRONG, I COULD stay and this was all a big mistake. The eyes would come back and ask, "You're really leaving? For good?" Yes. And then the face would change to match mine. "Oh, this is very sad news for us."

And I had nothing to say.

When I first touched down in Bangladesh, I'd never have admitted it but I was filled up mostly with what should be called dread. Leaving on the plane yesterday, the only thing I could think was

NO

No. This is not right. It feels like someone has died. While this is not as dire a loss as the loss of a friend, spouse, or fiancee, I am reminded of Laura G.'s loss of her love a few years ago. They had only been "together" for less than a year. But in that time they had found a love that made them happy to think about the future. YES! I'VE FINALLY GOT SOMETHING RIGHT! THIS IS WHAT MY LIFE FROM NOW ON WAS SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE. Then not.

And that's only for me. It's less than a picnic for the hundreds of friends and colleagues around the country whose hopes for their respective towns--well founded or not--were resting on the work of some kids from America. So many want to leave the country as it is. Every day someone would ask me to take them--sometimes as a joke, sometimes not. Most who are fortunate enough to leave the country to get a good education don't come back. How can things ever get better?

And yet this is a nation that has come back from floods, war, oppression, and extreme overpopulation and continues to thrive. Maybe they're better off without us coming and raising false hopes among the educated few with whom we fraternize.

*****

What's next for me? I don't know. If anyone's got any crazy ideas, jobs, or plans that involve doing something either foreign, humanitarian, or artistic, or insane, let me know--because once I finish a two week bender during which I question the existence of justice, I'll be an open book. Okay I'm probably kidding about the bender thing. I'm not quite tortured genius enough for a existentially-motivated bender.

14 Comments:

Blogger Sophie Mullen said...

Adam, you don't know me, but a couple of months ago I came accross your blog, and ever since I've been following it. Your blog has been an inspiration to a normal girl living an all too normal life. You've probably seen things in the past year you thought you'd never see, and as a result, grown, and learnt, a hell of a lot! From reading your blog, I can tell that this is only the beginning of so much more to come.. I think Bangladesh was just the motivator, the thing that pushed you out of your comfort zones, and created the desire in you for what you've been doing. hmmm.. sorry, this is rather lengthy, no sermon intended!! I guess I just wanted to say.. don't stop now. continue to explore the unknown.. do something scary.. LIVE your life... That's what you've taught me, anyway. Thanks. bye!

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Want to come and work at my front desk? It would be a great place to crash for a year and figure out what to do next . . .

12:50 PM  
Blogger pebblesia said...

Hey Adam, I just came across your blog today, and like Sophie here, I'm also nobody you know. But I happen to be from Bangladesh. I read through a number of your posts and couldn't help get mad at some comments while smiling at others. Bangladesh does need people like yourself, and heck they need people like me to go back and lend a hand. I'd suggest you don't get Bangladesh totally out of your system just yet (despite all the physical tribulations!) because there's so much to do there, even if you're not with the Peace Corps. I'm surprised at the Peace Corps' decision to withdraw its volunteers, but I guess there's nothing you can do about that. Anyway, I don't really have a point here, but I thought I'd just say that you have a great blog and I enjoyed reading it :) And if you ever want to head back, get in touch! Take care and good luck in whatever it is that you decide to do! -Irina

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adam,

You're a good man. I'm disappointed that your time there was cut so short, and I can't offer too much for comforting words. But I just wanted to say that I feel for you. I think you have an awful lot to offer, and I'm glad you weren't called to a life of a stereotypical upper-middle class suburban life where your main concerns are along the lines of whether we clap in church. My guess is you'd take your present disappointment over that too.

Anyway, if you come through Chicago, give me a call.

Luke

7:03 AM  
Blogger jason vande brake said...

I'm so sorry. This is tragic but certainly isn't it for you. And I know you know that. In Spring 2007, I'll have graduated and will be ready to collaborate with you on our Great Work of Theatre.

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adam,

I'm sorry too. I just got caught up on your blog, and although the "surprise" of your expulsion from Bangladesh was ruined for me by Chris before I had read that far, I read your posts in order, and when I got to this one, it sort of made me feel like crying, because it seems like at this point, with what you've learned about Bangladesh and yourself and the world and people in general, not to mention after all the crazy health stuff you've gone through, it's too soon for this to be over for you. That was a very long sentence. I'm not going to say something like, "Everything happens for a reason," because I don't always believe that life isn't just some random string of coincidences, but I do agree that this is just the beginning for you, or something cliche like that. I sometimes wish I were doing something less normal than I'm doing right now, like you have been. I'm proud of you for trying to improve life for people other than yourself. I'd like to get together with you before you get too busy with your next big project and have a drink or so and sit on the kitchen floor and talk for awhile.

Would it help at all if we bought you George Harrison's "Concert for Bangladesh" as a consolation prize?

Maria

2:32 PM  
Blogger gerard said...

Hey kid whats your new number we should talk.

Check my blog for my new number.

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang.

Dude, so bummed for you, but rather than dwell on the suck. You need to keep going with that thing you got...ummm whats it called... PASSION. Be proud of what you've done so far, but dont let that be the greatest thing you've ever done. There are other great needs this world has and its your position to proceed on to bigger and better.
Good luck finding it.

God Bless.

10:09 AM  
Blogger jack. said...

i'm thinking of you quite often these days.

love,
jack

11:52 AM  
Blogger CT said...

Hey brother. This sucks. Someone has died--the person you thought you were is gone and now you are the Adam I have always known you would be. That does not suck. You found the life in the midst of struggle and pain. I am proud of you.

You are always welcome in the valley of the sun if you need a new adventure. Kiss your family for me, okay.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Gabriel Florit said...

Sorry to hear that Adam.

Medecins Sans Frontiers?

6:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If, in the midst of your drunken stupor, you wander through Sioux Center singing Bon Jovi songs or cursing at passers-by, make sure and let me know. I have many secrets of the universe to reveal to you.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Hey Adam,

Sorry to hear your bad news. Let us know if you're in Chicago.

3:58 PM  
Blogger JustinVK said...

Hey Adam, Like everyone else Im sorry to hear about this. My heart sank

Justin

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home