Friday, June 01, 2007

this guy

I’m going to go for it. The giving thing that I theorized about on The Leather Apron Revival. I’ve been ruminating on the details, and I think it can work. This is gonna be hot. It can work. I need to get the word out to as many of my friends and family as possible. That could be difficult since I don’t think as many people read this anymore (since I fell, somewhat, off the face of the earth upon returning from Bangladesh). But we’ll get there. You or someone you love may soon get a rather lengthy e-mail from me laying out the game plan.

***

I’m a lucky, lucky person. I cannot think of another time in my entire life when this many things have been going splendidly. Observe:

I’m in Africa volunteering, learning a language and absorbing another culture.

I have no diseases.

I am going to help build my own mud house, which I designed. It’s under a mango tree in a village neighboring a forest in mahfuggin’ Malawi. The family who owns the property is cool as Kim Deal (but in a Malawian way).

I have two orphanages wanting my help, perfect spots for an azungu (foreigner) like me to work. Kids really needing the skills that I have, and thinking I’m cool because I play guitar and make funny faces.

Hillary.

I’ll probably be on TV with a drama group soon, which wants me to work with them, playing music and acting and you name it. They do AIDS education, literature awareness, and local Malawian drama. Might even get a chance to adapt a little Shakespeare.

I’m learning to cook Malawian food, making friends, and seeing things I won’t get another chance to see.

I’d just like to freeze this moment and acknowledge that, for anyone keeping tabs on Adam’s seasons--meaning you know well that I’m not only adept at self-flagellation but fully willing to call any glass half-empty--I’m actually digging my life pretty hardcore right now. Just for anyone. You know. Keepin’ tabs.

I may have promised pictures last time. I lied. Don’t rush me, or I will kill you dead.

***

Wolfowitz is out at World Bank! Now we get rid of Gonzalez, then elect Obama, and what has two thumbs and is gonna be pumped?

This guy!! ADAM indicates himself, using both thumbs.

4 Comments:

Blogger The DJ said...

Hi Adam,
Long time reader, first time caller.
So you want my hard earned money?
Im an american damnit. I work hard for every penny I earn. And I want to waste it. I want to buy designer clothes, and eat fatty foods at expensive resturaunts. I want to drive to get my mail, and I want to play my Nintendo Wii on my huge flat LCD TV. haha.
Ok. Email me with your game plan! I want in!

dave.zegen@gmail.com

Keep up the blog! I read it and love it! How much would i need to pay you to write everyday?? hahah.

cheers from Freedomland.

cousin dave.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Mud On His Shoes said...

tough about the picture preasure eh. I get the same and yeah its pretty weak considering I live in a techno empire. Sounds like Ill have to come visit when megopolis starts to get to me.

12:58 AM  
Blogger JustinVK said...

I don't live in Africa (LA) I don't help out with orphanages (welfare kids living in disintegrating trailers) I try.

I want the game plan

Justin

10:34 AM  
Blogger MJ said...

Dear Adam,

Do you know whose even luckier than you? ME!

When I hear of your trials and tribulations in Africa (the continent that God has forsaken), it puts perspective on my most privileged life. Observe:

I’m in Chicago... not volunteering, no need to learn a new language because English is the only one that matters in the global marketplace.

I have no diseases... except herpes, which thanks to advances in modern medicine you can't even tell.

I live in a great house in the heart of downtown Chicago. It may not be under a mango tree, but I have indoor plumbing.

I don't have kids needing or wanting my help... most likely because I give off an eerie child molester vibe.

Hillary... but only while you're in Africa, man. Oops, I said too much.

I don't have the lucrative African TV deal you speak of, but I do have a deal with Comedy Central (for what that's worth).

I’m learning to cook Malawian food, making friends, and seeing things I won’t get another chance to see... you got me there. Enjoy the ride.

+MJ

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home