Friday, May 11, 2007

went to Malawi on a mission from God be back by 5

So I went to Malawi. Yes.

I’m living in Blantyre, a city in the South, in support of an orphanage project started by Tracy Hills, a woman that my dad introduced me to. I’m here on an volunteer basis to help train their hired man, George (a Malawian who’s worked with other NGO’s), and generally to fill in the gaps as an all-purpose helper, since Tracy herself will be living in the States except for visits every 3-4 months or so. I’m living in a sort of dormitory right now, on the Feed the Children (an NGO) complex, with a number of Malawian staff and disabled children that are being helped by their program. The village where the orphanage is to be built is a few kilometers outside of town, and that’s where I’ll be living for the bulk of my time here, if things go as planned. I’m here largely due to a nice donation from my Grandmother, who recently sold the farm and contributed to my expense debits as a sort of charitable offering/tithe/tax deduction. My plan is to be here for about 9 months, give or take--possibly until the money runs out.

Up to speed? Yes.

And . . . you know, what about the girl? Is she going to . . . you know, wait around?

Well, I wouldn’t exactly put it that way. She’s got a burgeoning acting career to attend to, a psychotic boss to ditch, and my car to babysit while I’m gone. I have, in fact, also put her on my savings account, so if I screw up, she can skip town with all of the $700 stored there. I mean, you could live on that for like, a month. I am worth more than a month. I just know it. But, in a sense, yes. She’s going to wait. How awesome is that? Did I hit the jackpot? Yes, I hit the jackpot. Beautiful, talented, smart (er than me), and patient? I win. Hey, friends: Don’t let me screw this one up, okay?

Had a talk the other day with the villagers. See, they’re looking for a place for me to live. I’m learning Chichewa, but don’t really speak it yet. So through a translator, they said,
“So here’s the problem. There isn’t any place around here with electricity.”
And I said: “Oh, no no no. I don’t need electricity! I don’t even want it!”
“Uhh, right. Whatever. The other problem is, we don’t have anyone to cook American meals for you.”
“No no no no no no no. I don’t want American meals. I’ve been eating nsima. I just want to live like you guys. No special stuff!”
“Ha ha ha ha ha ha let’s kill him and cast lots for his clothing. No, seriously though. You’re lying to us, right?”
“NO!”
“Ha ha ha ha ha ha! Let’s laugh!”

This could be an uphill battle. Fun though.

Oh, and no diarrhea yet. Which is pretty great. I feel like someone from a Pepcid AC commercial.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey adam,
congrats on the not having diarrhea! seriously though, i think it's really something what you are doing. glad about the girl too, it looks like you really did hit the jackpot, and it looks like too that lindsay wins the bet. maybe. (don't jinx it nick, you idiot!)anyhow, good luck and keep safe ok.
your friend, nick

6:17 PM  
Blogger Mud On His Shoes said...

excellent truly excellent
sometimes I need to be reminded why I love you so much and then you go and remind me...its cause your stupid enough to make a good story of your life
and on really short notice
Love it, really really love it.

6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pepcid Complete. It has VALUE!

I like adoptions. I'm excited to hear about your project. Please, for us toilers, keep letting is live vicariously through you...

If one had a, say, globe...where would they find Malawai? Oh, do you have to pick an eatin' hand here?

3:27 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Thanks guys.

If you're looking at Africa like someone's left ear, Malawi is just above the "anti-tragus"--on the right side, slightly down from center, right along that rim of cartilage that's just inside and running parallel to the outer rim of softer skin. Or, ask Rand.

Eatin' hand is vaguely right, but there's a bit more toilet paper around, so you can sneak a left in without offending Allah. Or Jesus. Jesus wasn't as big a stickler about this stuff, either, so it's not as bigga deal.

Chris, I'm a turd. You're married. That's very cool.

4:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is nice to know that in Malawi there is a Jesus to offend.

Rand will be asked.

You are not a turd. We kept it, unpromoted. Not secret, but not "GIVE-US-STUFF-WE-WEAR-RINGS-NOW". It happened in our living room during an ice storm. It is cool. I like it.

8:18 PM  
Blogger MJ said...

Dear Adam,

By now, you're probably regretting your foolish decision to spurn electricity and meatloaf (albeit, made by a middle aged Malawian chick using goat meat).

I find this "Mission from God" bit a tad 7th Seven. Just come clean. You're helping out at an African orphanage so you can meet Madonna and Angelina Jolie. Considering you're parked at Feed The Children... I guess all you have to show for it is hang'n with a morbidly obese Sally Struthers.

In many respects, I'm fortunate I'm not your financial adviser. Why? Because I'd be irritated that you (1) only have $700 to your name and (2) that you signed it over to some chick that you stole from a Russian unicorn fluffer. Wait... I might have gotten the latter wrong. No matter. Point is, you should have signed away all of your worldly assets to me... I'll do a far better job spending that shit like MC Hammer.

+MJ

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home