Saturday, October 01, 2005

2 years

Khulna.

Site announcements were two days ago, and my site is Khulna. This is a city in the southwestern part of the country. Two years. Wow.

Pros: art college, close to Sundarbans (natural foresty pretty part of the 'Desh), good DYD (the place where I'll be teaching classes), good site mate (Ann. She's a stud.)
Cons: BIG CITY (grrr), site mate period (wanted to be alone), technology (wanted to rough it a bit more)

Sorry. Boring post today. Let's see . . . quick blitzkrieg of interesting things: I wash my clothes naked (who doesn't), the neighbor kid peed on my shoes, I walk through a (newly formed) pond on my way to work every day because of the rains, and my host father still shouts when he talks because he thinks it's easier to understand him if he shouts. It's not.

Bhalobasha = Love

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss you, I am going to call you....

lo

8:51 PM  
Blogger jack. said...

i dig your new blog title.

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Adam
I don't think you've made mention of the currency yet. I don't mean the value of the taka or the exchange rate; I mean the way it is treated. Is it the same as India used to be - where the banks sewed the notes into bundles, a process which, after several perforations with the special needles and cotton, significantly weakened the fabric of the notes and rendered them susceptible to tearing? And are the notes then folded and tucked into longyis, which has a further debilitating effect, and then they get that cementy, bovine, curry, sweaty human sort of smell, and then that and the humidity causes them to begin to go black and disintegrate, and then the shopkeepers and rickshaw wallahs refuse to accept them because they are tatty, and you can only exchange them at the bank? So that you end up with heap of notes in your pocket that no-one, no matter how poor, wants your money? And after you've learned this, you resolve to be more careful about the money you accept and resolve to refuse any notes which the locals would not accept, and then during one transaction you forget to be vigilant and some sneaky shopkeeper slips a couple of torn ones to you and when you notice it's too late and you curse yourself because no matter how hard you try, you can never slip one across to the locals? Do they do that in Bangladesh?

9:35 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

Wow. Note to self: don't get into the currency business in India. The money here is fine for the most part. A few of the two-taka notes are getting ratty but I've never had a problem.

Hi Dave, you crazy animal.

Thanks Jack. Please call me Lo.

1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home