Monday, August 22, 2005

For crying out loud, they don't even speak ENGLISH!

Due to the flood of letters and calls that I should have received, I feel compelled to let you all know that I have not been blown up in the recent bombings here in Bangladesh. The bombs were small, handheld things deployed by a Muslim group and were a political statement. Some of them had leaflets which they scattered. I think 2 people died, which actually probably means that no one was supposed to die. So it's not a huge deal for us.

Now the malaria medication. Now that's a trip. It gives you these vivid dreams that don't quit. Last night I was Brad Pitt in Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Glad to see I'm acclimating to the new environment. They also have 4 ways to say the letter "T", all of which can be easily confused with the 4 ways to say the letter "D".

Everything has cumin in it here. I actually just had a cookie with cumin in it. But the food is actually quite good. You have rice with every meal, of course, and when no one's looking I use my left hand. It's also somewhat unnerving the way people watch you eat. As a white person you're a celebrity, and so they feed you and then watch you eat. Last night an "uncle" of some sort literally leaned over me with his head about 5 inches from mine during my entire meal. They also comment about how bad I suck at using my hand while eating. They think I can't hear them. And I can't. BUT sometimes I can. And it hurts. No, it doesn't.

My host family always asks if I miss my family. Here, you always stay with your family and you cry if they're apart from you for like a week. I guess that's a good thing.

I now officially hate the expression "cultural differences." Hate it. Hhhhhaaaaate it. Can't tell you how much I hate it.

Must go now.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on not getting blown up or at least losing a minor appendage or something.

8:34 PM  
Blogger CT said...

you better not be dead because the last thing I said to you the first time we said goodbye was not to die or anything and you said you wouldn't. It occurs to me now that I didn't tell anyone else not to die when saying my goodbye to them. Perhaps I should have held each of you to the same standard. Anyway...you can find me at girlscandoanything.blogspot. Can't wait to hear more. Love and blessings my brother. Rayve says hello--this is her official new nickname btw. Ray sounds too "boyie" in her estimation. I don't know how to add an "ee" to boy with correct spelling. That seemed reasonable, but looked really stupid. CT

7:53 PM  
Blogger nokomis said...

i'm glad that i'm not those two people who might have died.

don't poop too much on your hand...

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home