Saturday, September 17, 2005

Devendra Banhart

Just started listening to this person on my iPod. Cool folky stuff. Also interesting to note -- about 4 out of 5 of the Peace Corps volunteers here have an iPod. Somehow, when the Bangladeshis pull out the "You are rich man" bizniss, I can't really argue with them.

Model school today. That means a little class of about 15 to help us get our feet wet teaching. It's a hard thing to do, of course, but it's not so hard on the self-esteem: they treat us like we're Avril Lavigne.

But the bigger issue lately has been surviving versus thriving. One volunteer recently ET'd (early termination'd), which brings the number to 3. Last year's group has lost 16. Suffice to say it's hard for Americans here, especially women. And a lot of the ones who haven't ET'd are really negative about Bangladesh, sort of as a coping mechanism. My goal has been to maintain an even keel, not getting too excited or too down about anything. The hardest thing lately has been the balance b/w personal (alone) time and actually engaging the culture. Some volunteers here are good at continually engaging and making friends. I just want to go back to my room so I can be alone. It's hard to know when to push yourself to do better and when to give yourself a break. Will I be best off driving myself insane and then growing from it into a new person, or should I gradually try to take on more, while gingerly taking care of my sanity?

Hi Corinne. Hi Luke. Thanks for posting. For the record, it's definitely a bright spot in one's day to open up the blog and find that people have posted stuff. On the computers here you can accomplish in about 1 hour what you could previously have done in 15 minutes in the States. Notice my new Links section. Took me about 1 1/2 hours just for the ones I put there.

Do you have any idea how much rice a person can eat when that's the main staple? Picture a mound the size of the top of a basketball that's been eviscerated Hannibal Lecter style. Now picture a little bit extra. There you go.

I hear Delta and Northwest went bankrupt. That stinks for them. Glad I'm here where I don't have to deal with the repercussions of THAT.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't give up on me. I have given up my right to screen calls from anonymous numbers just in case you attempt to call me. Now I have to deal with all these stalkers...

Call me.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Adam!

This is Erica Leep from the good ol' 4th of July party days! Your parents were out visiting MT and said that you were doing PC in Bangladesh. So I thought I would check your blogsite out, as I am looking at a ST mission through CRWRC in Bangladesh. I graduated from Calvin this past May with a BUS-CAS degree but alas, am not sure what I am going to do with it. But I would like to explore overseas work. So we shall see. If things progress in the direction of a trip to Bangladesh, I'll let you know! Your blog posts are interesting and definitely provide a "porthole" for what I would be getting into (granted this trip would be 3 mo. not 2 years). Best wishes!

Erica

1:25 PM  
Blogger gerard said...

Hey man. Just poking my head in to say hello and that you are in my thoughts.

If you get a chance check out the band Morphine album Like Swimming. They are my favorite right now.

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ad,
Do you get to practice your model walk in model school? Just wanted to say hi and hang in there. Chi-town's not the same without you (even though I only saw you ONCE while you were here!).

6:32 AM  
Blogger CT said...

I promote insanity, but you know how well my life is working out for me, so never take my advice. I start Pastoral Counseling class tomorrow so ask me the day after that and maybe I'll have the answer to all your troubles in my notes.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Hey Erica! Long time, wow. Good to hear from you. My mom said you might be headed this way. If you end up coming make sure to tell me and I'll give you my fifty cents.

Matt: Morphine, huh? It would be nice if I could get new music here, but 'tis not possible. Hmm . . . maybe if someone sent me a package with an MP3 CD . . . .

Hey Amy. (baby voice)

Hi Christy. (aka Rev)

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home