Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Loss

Many of the PC volunteers from Bangladesh will be leaving soon.

As I've briefly mentioned before, there have been some bombs and some threats from radical muslim groups. They've said that they're planning to target schools (where some PCV's work), and one threat even mentioned targeting any woman not wearing a burka (the head-to-toe covering for a Muslim woman), among other things. So, people are justifiably freaked out. The government is too corrupt and petty to do much about it, though many arrests by the Rapid Action Batallion (popular police) have been going down recently. Some volunteers have been near the places where bombs have exploded prior to that, one or two even knew people who died. As foreigners, we are easily recognizeable and though we haven't been made targets yet, some figure we're next on the list and soon things could get bad. Personally, I don't think things are that bad, and the frequency of the bombs has decreased significantly in the past couple of weeks as various leaders of the movement are caught. But still . . .

Peace Corps has responded by giving PC Bangladesh Volunteers the option of Interrupted Service ( = you can go home now without shame and start over again if you want to). I won't be taking this option (I feel pretty safe and I'm here for the long haul), but a few good friends will be. It's hard to see the numbers dwindle. It's like joining a real peace movement and slowly watching it die as the pressure and stress becomes too much for some.

A wave of temptation washed over me when I realized that if I decided to take the Interrupted Service, I could go to the wedding of Matt (one of the, if not the, best friends I have) which occurs in early January--just after I'd arrive back home. To be honest, I haven't really cared much about many of the weddings I've gone to . . just a few. Usually I find them overly formal, trite and empty--the real stuff of love happens long before and long after the wedding. But this would be the first wedding that I REALLY did not want to miss, would have done almost anything to attend. Cry for me, Argentina. The truth is, I left you.

* * * * *

Still, Christmas is going to be fun. I've got lights, friends coming from neighboring towns, some good food, a little alcohol, and maybe even a Christmas tree. I'm genuinely happy about a lot of things this Christmas. Moreso that most other Christmasesaseses past. Huh.

4 Comments:

Blogger JustinVK said...

Merry Christmas Adam, Im glad you're doing well.

you still have my handheld fan

11:26 AM  
Blogger r.c.f. said...

your dedication is humbling. take care and enjoy your christmas.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Books said...

phew, I thought you might leave before I actually SEND you the letter I wrote so many moons ago. And then I'd have to feel like a bad friend. It's all about me you see. I am tempted to beg and cry you back home but I know you are the most stubborn man I know so we'll just end up on the side of the road in front of blockbuster with the car door open in the dead of winter. And as much fun as that game ALWAYS is....

Seriously, I'm proud of you for sticking with it. And I am pleased that you seem all but completely miserable in your life out there. But I misses you. I wants you at my New Years party. I'll have to settle for the life-size mural of your face that my parents have painted on the living room wall.

I am going to send that letter. I am.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

And I'm never giving it back.

Thanks Ross. Seriously.

Lo. I heart you. Yeah, you've figured out what many are fooled by: Stubbornness masked as perseverence. Okay, that's not completely it, but I'm finding it's not that hard to be dedicated to something when it's your LIFE and you don't really want to be doing anything else at the time.

3:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home